Sunday 1 April 2012

About the Chinese Mafia and the Ghost in the attic

I've had a lot of blond moments lately I would have only loved to write about but it appears the Chinese mafia has hacked into our IP address at Purple Rocks. I am not able to access Google, YouTube or Blogger. Instead I am Bing'ing it these days and oh well... who needs YouTube at this low bandwidth anyway. Unless I use a dongle I am not able to access the Blog. Got hold of one today so I thought I'll share my most exciting moments of the past 4 weeks with you.
   Still haven't been able to go to the library which is a bit of a bummer. Suzi is still leaking and I really don't fancy damaging the engine. Hence I've been staying home. I have taken the rad off the bike. One of the mechanics here on compound - Piet, a friendly South African - has offered to check the leak out and see if he can weld it for me. My gut is telling me though that I should look into buying a replacement set. A reliable cooling system would really be a benefit considering I am planning to ride the bike back to Ireland at some stage =) I am already in Africa, so is my bike, it would be silly not to do this trip of a lifetime me thinks. Thankfully Rory has bought into the idea and is as excited about as I am. So the plan is, once this project is finished (which is probably around May 2013) to get on our bikes and ride all the way back to Ireland. 
   We are slowly stocking up on bibs and bobs for the trip. For example, we already got the bike to bike radio kit and I'm proud owner of really cool Coyote saddlebags by Giant Loop. My next purchase (highly recommended be fellow DRZ rider uncle Kev) will be a new seat by Seat Concepts. That way I am hoping I won't need to rest my aching behind on a ring cushion at the end of a long day in the saddle. Lots more to think of but it's a start. Most importantly though, I will have to make up my mind on the travel route, visa requirements and the likes. Exciting times! Thanks goodness we've got about a year to make it all happen.
   Apart from a disappointing Rugby match St. Patricks Day in Ghana was actually quite fun. We had brought a few cans of Guinness back over from Ireland and had saved them for the occasion. That same night we decided to mix with the locals and grab a few drinks at the only Hotel in the village. We met up with a few more Irish that have started working on the project in the past 1-2 months. At some stage it felt like I was in Taaffes Pub in Galway or at an Irish wedding with the not so sober lads singing all sorts of Irish songs out of the depth of their lungs. The Irish, you gotta love them! =)
   My hermit lifestyle these days has had a peak of excitement with the arrival of 2 Yoga home workout DVDs. I am actually looking forward to my daily attempts of exercising in the room. You see, it's time Suzi got fixed...
   Really looking forward to our next trip in the next couple weeks. We'll be off to South Africa. We will fly into Johannesburg, rent a car and travel all to the way to Capetown, with stops for sightseeing and fun things to do along the route. I am planning on riding an Ostrich (stay tuned for those pics... hahaha), getting into a diving cage to see the great white shark up close (hopefully not too close), swimming with penguins and climbing Table mountain just to name a few. Above all I am looking forward to decent food!!!  
   Until then I shall try and figure out what kind of animal has decided to creep me out at night and make the attic space it's permanent home. I'm hoping it's a Gecko and not a rat... 

No comments:

Post a Comment