Thursday 28 February 2013

Make Fufu Not War

Well I'm glad I got to experience my last riot on site before leaving this country. Excellent timing! It's mad how quickly a seemingly peaceful crowd can turn into an angry, loud, stone throwing, intimidating mob. Once again, it's all about the money. As the construction project is at final stages many of the local Ghanaians try to negotiate large bonus sums for themselves. Quite understandable actually. There may not be any work left for most people in the region for some time, years perhaps. However the demands aren't necessary reasonable and as yesterdays events have shown sometimes you just can't reason.
   What started as civil discussions with labour representatives and management, turned quickly into stone throwing and other exercises of the intimidating kind. When it got heated I slipped off my chair, to a crouching position in a corner of my office in an effort not to be seen or heard for about 1.5 hrs until the first wave of the angry mob had calmed. This turned out to be a good idea. Eventually though I was discovered by a group of workers. This is probably the first time I got the shakes out of fear and not knowing what is going to happen. The mind tends to go a bit ahead of itself I guess. I could see in the eyes of the guys they were surprised to see me there and after a few seconds that seemed to be minutes they made handsignals to try and calm me down and ensure I would be left alone as I was a woman. "Ghanaians don't beat women."
   I decided to play it safe and remained where I was though and I got the occassional check up visit from some of the more peaceful minded workers who wanted to make sure I was ok. After about another hour later these guys decided they would guard me and walk me off site to a pick-up from Security. Nerve wrecking having to walk through this mob but my guys kept shouting "she's a woman", "she's not part of management, let her go" and all was fine.
   Boy, did I enjoy that double whiskey when I got to the camp where a worried Rory had moved every lever into action to get me out of there and had the whiskey ready. 
   Today, the situation with my own company is unchanged but at least somewhat peaceful. Obviously there won't be any work done for a while. Also, I think I don't have an office anymore as it got trashed, so my last day at work has come 2 days early. Another sub-contractor is going through the same problems with their workers this morning and  as a safety precaution, we are on red alert for a possible emergency evacuation to Accra.
   Rory and I have spent the last hour frantically packing our bags and in the middle of it all I have finally managed to get and pay for travel insurance which will also cover us for motorcycle overland touring. Lastminute.com :)
It can only be more relaxed from here on!

No comments:

Post a Comment